Saturday, January 28, 2012

unit one thesis


Review on Unit 1
English 1101
1-28-11
Natalie

  The virtual world is important. It’s the new way of life. The virtual world has changed history in many ways. It has given us the tools to get information quickly. I would rather read and research something online than out of a book in the library. And I always have enjoyed running into hyperlinks, pictures and videos about the subject I’m reaching online. Online can give lots more information at a faster pace.
  After reading this unit, I have noticed how often I’m using the virtual world. I am definitely a Cyborg. We are always carrying our I phones, laptops, any kind of device that keeps us connected with the virtual world. I have noticed the amount of time my children use the virtual world. In my opinion, it is good to encourage your child to be Cyborgs. If you don't they will fall behind in technology. Technology is a big part of our life today. I do encourage them to read books, but, I also know when they are on the the computer, texting, or playing games online. There reading also.  I found this link that humored me. It relates for the most part to this assignment http://fresh1025.radio.com/2011/10/17/20-things-your-kids-will-never-know-about-by-leigh-ann-juile-deharty/  
  I had a funny experience the other day when I went into the writing lab. I was waiting for the tutor to finish helping an older gentleman. He was about 70. He couldn't figure how to use the computer. He said it looked like a typewriter (which I vaguely remember) and he didn't know how to space the words. The tutor simply said hit the space bar. He had no clue what that was. I held in a smile because the reason I went to the writing lab was for help on how the virtual world is changing us. This was just a perfect example of how its taking over. I wonder if people sometimes are against the virtual world because its so challenging? 
  Some people think that the virtual world has effected the 1980 “virtual generation” in a negative way saying it causes ADD/ADHD, and in Andrew Lambs essay he says, “Troubling consequences of devoting to much attention to the virtual world is the death of empathy,”  After reading unit one, it put me on the defense. Not just because I am in this generation, but because I know that it has changed people in many positive ways. Like I stated before, I believe ADD/ADHD, for the most part, is caused from the lack of attention the parent gives the child. If the parent is so obsessed with gaming or cooking, its the parents fault not the virtual world.  As for andrew Lams essay, the death of empathy is cause from society. 
  I am so happy I’m a cyborg because, I love staying in touch with the virtual world. I advertise on it, share photos, research everything, and I don't remember the last time i used a dictionary. One of my favorite features is spell check. And you cant forget Facebook! My kids use electronics all the time. In my 8 year olds’ class at school he takes test online everyday. They also play games and learn with learning games on the internet.  The virtual world is “The new way of life.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment