Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Amateur Family


Amateur Family
Natalie Beech
English 1101
  In  Michael Chabon’s essay he says that he reject the term fan in favor of amateur. I think that Michael used the wrong word for this story. In Michaels story he say’s, “Fanboy gets tossed around a lot these days, but two of my children are female, and fan child is not a word.” I think that Michael doesn't like this word because of this reason. I bet if he had all boys this wouldn’t have came to his mind. 
  The definition of amateur is a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.  And the word “fandom” is a term used to refer to a subculture composed of fans characterized by a feeling of sympathy and camaraderie with others who share a common interest. A fandom can grow up centered around any area of human interest or activity. 
  Now knowing the definitions of these words I think amateur is the wrong word to use. When I hear amateur I think of sports. Like professional skater or pro snowboarders, and than amateur skaters and amateur snowboarders. I my mind I see this word used for sports rather than a love for a hobby like this story. I know a lot of professional skateboarder that skate for the love not the money oviously because they get paid crap. A lot of amateur skaters are skating for love also. 
  I think that the word amateur means to not get paid and the word professional means to get paid. Its all about money with this word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment