Thursday, March 8, 2012

History of my face


History of my face
Natalie Beech
English 1101
  I think that in this poem Khaled was comparing his facial features with his heritage. He is trying to creatively defined his specific features to himself to explain the different cultures his history originated from. I think it could be called facial genealogy. Its is interesting how people facial features explain there history. How Jewish usually have bigger noses. How African Americans have bigger lips. Each heritage has there own specific features 
  In Khaleds poem he says he said, “ his lips came with a caravan slaves, In Tokara those Greek , whose eyebrows I wear.” He is saying he comes form Yokara Grease he lived there as a poor child by the hospital where he was born. In Tokara they weren't looking to settle there but the greeks decided to declare it was theirs.  The knights invaded Tripoli and became slaves. The residents of the city found help from Istanbul. And in 1531 they brought along his nose. I kind of get confused on this part of the poem but I think it means that the Turks united with the Knights that invaded. I think I would have understood this poem if I knew more about these heritages. Than he goes on to say, “Uqba took my cites in the name of God. I think he means his heritage has been over come and he now  looks at his children and see his heritage in them. 
  I think that facials features are very is interesting now. Before all I thought of is how my kids look more like me or my husband I have only compared so far to my grandparents  but obvesouly it goes deeper than that. It goes all the way back to the 2 people Adam and Eve. Now when I look at people I am going to look at there facials features and wonder what heritage they are from.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment