Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Visual essay rewriting the image


Natalie Beech
English 1101
The Gaze
  Genders rolls in advertisement is very important.  It is important to catch as many readers/ viewers attention but still be able to relate themselves with the product. When I think of an underwear model ad I think of Ashton Kutcher. His body makes you think that the under wear is sexy and he is idolized by his sense of hummer and acting so people want to buy the name brand underwear he wears to look like and to be like him. I posted a photo of Ashton. In this essay I see Ashton who is ripped with a eight pac and who is looking away from the camera.  Reading the Gaze writing it says, “the person in the image is looking at or away form the camera it gives you as the viewer to be imaginary and invisible.” This essay says when the model is not looking directly into the camera the subject is viewed as if the viewer has entered into some kind of imaginary relation with him or her. I think this ad goes along with Leppert’s essay more because the ad is of a man.  In Berger’s essay he say that the majority of viewers are men and the woman are the models. He says, “men act and woman appear.” 
  When I think of a woman's advertisement I think of Herbal Essences photos. Because I was surprised by there ads. The ad is a woman in the shower putting on shampoo and moaning. Every guys dream! But, is that a woman's dream? No. I would say. I buy the product because of the smell. I posted a pic of an Herbal Essence ad below. The spectator of this image would be more of Berger’s ideas and Leppert’s  Because it is looked at by man and woman but I would imagine the spectator would be man.

1 comment:

  1. just to let you know I labeled it wrong its suppose to be visual essay rewriting the image.

    ReplyDelete