Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Berger exploratory writing


Natalie Beech
English 1101 
John Berger
  I understand the painting completely different now that I know a lot more about the details. I would have to say when I look at these pictures I see a woman naked. My first response to this is I felt awkward. I know that the human body is beautiful but I don't see it often enough on paintings, so it throws me off. After reading Berger’s writing I look at other things in the photo. He explains the difference between being “naked” and “nude.” In Berger’s writing he states, “ In the European tradition In the book The Nude Kenneth Clark maintains that to be naked is simply to be without clothes, where the nude is an art form. I think this quote explains the meaning of this essay. 
  Berger goes on and says how in one of the pictures explains why a mirror is in the painting. He says, “the real function of the mirror was to make the woman connive in treating herself as, first and foremost , a sight.”  When you put a mirror in front of the nude woman and she is holding that mirror, you can call the painting, “Vanity.” I understand the painting completely different now that I know a lot more about the details of the paintings.
  In Berger’s writing he says that the social presence of a woman is different than of a man. I think that this is just human nature.  Men’s presence is looked to be  powerful, physical, economic, social, and sexual.  And a woman's presence is manifest in her gestures, voice, opinion, clothes, and her chosen surroundings. I honestly don’t know why woman's presence is so detailed. I think that woman are so use to the man being the bread winner, the protector, and the MAN that it is just known to be this way. Woman now are stronger than ever. We have climbed the equal rights ladder fast. We are just as equal to man as men are to woman. the only thing that men have on most of us is they are stronger and have a protective attitude. Woman seem to be weaker than men ( with muscle). But I do admit this I look to my husband to protect me. So I do think that this is just human nature. Men are stronger and protectors. Woman are looked at with more detail.  

No comments:

Post a Comment