Thursday, March 1, 2012

RESPONSE TO LAMS


Natalie 
English 1101
MY RESPONSE TO LAMS ESSAY “I TWEET, THEREFORE I AM”
  I choose Kelly’s “I tweet therefor I am” essay to respond to. I like how she compares how her grandfather has recored just like we are recording. The only difference is we use better technology. It makes me think about how the Egyptians wrote on the wall with pictures to record there life. Kelly makes me realize that recording has started forever ago. We have been recording our life's much more ever since the video camera came out. Now it is just easier because we have cameras on our phone, and it usually is always with us which makes here statement by Chris Cramer true, “the entire world has become news gatherers-some of the most extraordinary events reported are by ordinary citizens. I also go straight to You-tube to find information and pictures about events. I defiantly don't read the paper. That is so 1990’s haha. No web is just faster and, I fell for the most part more informative.  She points out how we use Facebook which we do because it is just at our fingertips and its a great way to inform and connect with people. I like how Kelly explained who Chris Cramer was and the questions she brought up about wondering why people record there life history. Good Job.
Extends
“The entire world has become news gatherers-some of the most extraodinary events are reported by ordinary citizens.” This statement was made by Chris Cramer, global editor of Multimedia and I really have to agree with that statement. If I am curious to see a natural disaster for instance, the first place I go is to youtube to watch footage, because that is where I am most likely to find the best footage.  It’s usually from someone who is really there and really experiencing it, not a reporter from the sidelines.
Distinguishes
“I tweet, Therefore I am” as Lam says, has a lot of truth to it. When I first read Lams idea about people believing that “we do not fully exist without some sort of electronic imprint in the virtual world, a digital projection of ourselves”, I agreed, but as I thought aout it more I started to question why people record everything on “twitter” or “facebook”. Really, people have been doing some form of “recording” as long as history has recorded. My grandfather has a pile of slides that would take days to go through and isn’t that the same kind of recording of ones life? He shares those slides with anyone who will watch them. Today we are just doing it in massive amounts in less time with a much bigger audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment